“Be Excellent to Each Other”
BSides Belfast is a conference by the information security community, for the information security community. Facilitating a pleasant atmosphere for all attendees (including organisers, speakers, volunteers, and sponsors) is a core aim of the BSides Belfast organisers and as an attendee you agree to be bound by the BSides Belfast Attendee Code-of-Conduct. This code of conduct must be adhered to at all BSides Belfast conference venues, including the after-party venue, and should also apply to attendee interaction via social media and other on-line platforms in relation to our event. We expect cooperation from all participants, sponsors and organisers to help ensure a safe environment for everybody.
Purpose of this Code-of-Conduct
- To ensure a constructive, inclusive and pleasant atmosphere for all volunteers and attendees of the BSides Belfast conference.
- To ensure that all attendees know what behaviour they have a right to expect from other attendees.
- To ensure that all attendees know what behaviour is expected of them whilst attending BSides Belfast.
Respect for Others
All attendees must:
- Treat the organisers and volunteers with respect and follow any instructions given. The BSides Belfast volunteers and organisers have given up a significant amount of their time, to facilitate this conference for the benefit of the attendees.
- Respect the presenters. Do not talk among yourselves during their presentations, ensure your mobile phones are on silent mode or switched off, and once you’re inside a presentation, avoid leaving until the end where possible so as to minimise disruption to the other attendees and the presenter. If the presenter requests that phones are turned off, or that no photos are to be taken of the presentation, you must adhere to this. Heckling or harassment of presenters will not be tolerated. Asking questions is what makes this a community, but respect the presenter’s method of handling questions during any presentation and allow other attendees the opportunity to ask questions too.
- Treat everyone present at the conference fairly and equally.
- Understand that harassment of ANY type will not be tolerated, including but not limited to verbal, physical, sexual, online harassment, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, and inappropriate or unwelcome physical contact.
- Not discriminate against any other attendee.
- Allow others to express themselves and understand that all views are important even if they are not the same as your own (as long as no harm is caused by such views).
- Sponsors are also subject to the anti-harassment policy. In particular, sponsors should not use inappropriate images, activities, or other material to promote themselves to attendees.
All attendees must:
- Understand, respect and act at all times without prejudice to race, age, ethnicity, disability, physical appearance, body size, gender, gender identity and expression, physical or mental health, religion (or lack thereof), sexual orientation, cultural background, or technology choices.
- Understand that all forms of discrimination, including bullying and harassment are unacceptable.
- Listen and adhere to the organiser’s and volunteer’s instructions.
Photography and Videography
All attendees must:
- Respect the privacy of other attendees when photographing or video recording.
- Understand that it is your responsibility to ask for permission before photographing or video recording another attendee.
- Understand that the BSides Belfast presentations will be professionally recorded by a designated BSides Belfast videographer for public release after the event. With this in mind, attendees should not video record any presentation in its entirety.
If you have an issue with any BSides Belfast attendee/participant, or have any concerns whatsoever in relation to safety or inappropriate conduct, please immediately notify a BSides Belfast organiser (recognisable by their T-shirt). We will then determine appropriate next steps. If you have a concern prior to or after the event, please contact us via Twitter or email. Conference staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the conference. We value your attendance.
Any attendee found to have engaged in behaviour violating this code of conduct may have their ticket invalidated and be expelled from the event without a refund at the sole discretion of the BSides Belfast organisers.